Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Walking Like a Zombie in Dublin

So I arrived this morning after taking a red eye to Dublin. I got zero sleep on the plane as the seat was so narrow and uncomfortable. Since my bed is unavailable until 2:30pm I have spent the entire day straining to keep my eyes open. The day has consisted of me walking aimlessly around.

Not sure if it is my sever jet lag or what but Dublin is not exactly what I had expected. The people have been splendid and I think I made some friends at an adorable hole in the wall Irish cafe. The owner/cook, Brenden, gave me some good advice. I am his daughter's age and she is currently in Florida so we had a nice conversation about that. So the people have been super friendly BUT I must say this place is pretty dirty. I had a cleaner, greener Dublin in my mind.

The weather however is phenomenal thus far. Its warmer here than in Manhattan. I think I will be better able to assess the city after I have taken a nap, but for now I think I am viewing it through pessimistic, weary eyes.

I may even try to go to Galway sooner and stay there a bit longer. Every Irishmen I have asked about Galway has said raived about how musical and gorgeous it is. When I asked my Irish buddy in Manhattan about Dublin he said, "Dublin's a shithole." I am not sure I would go that far but it certainly is not the heaven I had built it up to be. Guess I got carried away by the Irish accent assuming that all Irish came from green fields.

I will soon post some photos...after I take some.

No comments:

Post a Comment